One of the envisaged development proposals of the project is the construction of a large dam on the Groot Letaba River at the Nwamitwa site, downstream of the confluence of the Nwanezi River. The proposed dam will
- cover a catchment area 1400 km2
- have a Mean Annual Runoff (MAR) of 122.6 million m3
- have a gross storage capacity of about 144 million m3 (final size to be determined)
- have an increase in system yield of 47 million m3/a (dependent on final size)
- have a capital cost of R490 million (1996 prices), including the realignment of R529 and other local roads.